Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Using Caution on the Internet

I had to go to the bank yesterday to get my debit card cancelled.  There was a $1.97 charge on there from a company in Clearview, FL.  The bank was very understanding, but it still made me feel violated.  Someone out there found a way to get my debit card information, either from a website that I had used my card or a business locally.  Either way, it was an invasion of my privacy.

This morning, I received an invitation from a student to join boxbe.  When I did some research on it, I quickly found many postings about it possibly being spam.  The funny thing about this tool is that its purpose is supposed to be to filter your email.  However, they do this by having you give them your email username and password.  Talk about a violation of privacy!  Now boxbe can go into my email and view anything they want, including personal information.  It also makes me wonder about the security of my personal information going to another company outside of boxbe.  Needless to say, I didn't accept the invitation.  Furthermore, I sent out an email to all students and staff about taking caution when signing up for services online.  If any service asks for your personal username and password, be cautious.  Do your homework.  Research the company by reading various perspectives on it.  If you are a student, ask an adult first.

No comments:

Post a Comment